/ Shipman's Home Sweet Homepage
/ Site map
Shipman's collected neologisms
I've collected these neologisms from listening to my unique
friends (where credited), and from my own verbal fumbles (the rest).
A lot of them are hybrids of two words, and in those cases I have
tried to name the parents linked with an `x'.
- arscending: Originally a typo for "ascending". Example usage:
"This project is sorted in arscending order: it's bass-ackwards."
- descrides: describes x decries.
- Wyatt Walker, 2014-11-22
- epistemotomy: Shaving the truth.
- epistemectomy: Surgical removal of all truth.
- gesticulate x genuflect
- phenazamal: phenomenal x amazing. I like this one because it
jumps to a different word and then jumps back.
- festification: variant of `festive occasion', as in:
`On this festification'
- Early 1983
- Foister: foster x foist. Example: We're having this new
software methodology foistered off on us.
- Substenance: subsistence x sustenance. Example: About time
to go to the canteen for some form of substenance.
- Jeff Bernstein, ca. 1979
- Politigant: political litigant
- Documine: to place explosive ideas in a document
- 1983-8-24, as I mis-heard Tom Sanderson
- Flashionable: flashy x fashionable
- Steve Senn, 1984-3-9
- Landscraping: the process of removing all vegetation from the
property so you can put in all new vegetation.
- Steve Senn, 1984-3-9
- Mutterance: muttered utterance
- Schegister: schedule x register. Example: Schegistration is
Monday, so clearly we should have a party Sunday.
- Amy Blackburn
- Ignortant: important but you can ignore it
- Deadlous & dangery: witness, Dick Carlson & Charley Rhodes
- Specertain: specific x certain. Example: You have to set
this argument to a specertain value.
- Disoriental: Ideas from Asia that tend to confuse Westerners.
- Futilitarian: Something you need to use but it's futile to
- Greg Titus, 1985-4-27
- Strubble: struggle x trouble, to Ray Rachkowski, who ran a computer
firm in Albuquerque called Data Handling for several decades
- Iconocladists: Biological systematists who try to use cladism
to smash the existing classifications
- 1986-1-21, in reaction to a letter from Leonard Compagno
- Personal snicketies: things about which one is persnickety.
I once considered adding this text to one of the typesetting drafts of
Dave DeSante's book ``Distributional Checklist of North American
Birds'': ``Set in a Computer Modern font altered for the
author's personal snicketies.''
- Inferiating complex: an infuriating inferiority complex.
- Bankrupture: financial disaster
- Smotch: smudge x blotch. Example: You've got a smotch on your cheek.
- Magail Medina, 1987-4-5
- Siestivate: siesta x estivate; to hibernate in the afternoon.
- Phil Johnson, 1987-5-9
- Indiscrepancies: indiscreet discrepancies
- James Robnett, 1988-7-4
- Scrumption: an attribute of good food
- Falline Danforth, 1991-11-21
- A-sports-ual: someone who does not do sports
- Carol Hankins (?)
- Noxiating: noxious x asphyxiating
- Mathochism: mathematical masochism
- mis-heard by Theresa Boracci, 1993-8-31
- Congratulodolences: congratulations x condolences.
- 1993-10-18, to Craig Hayenga, upon his sudden, inconvenient
resignation from a job he was better off without.
- bargling: bargaining x haggling
- Miranda Brown
- bellignorant: aggressively stupid
- Miranda Brown
- withtract: withdraw x retract
- Cecile Gross, All Things Considered, 1997-5-15
- boron: bore x moron
- James Robnett, 1998-11-21
- sub-pessimal: Worse than possible.
- claptraptions: marginal functional machines
- microlomaniac: obsessed with detail
- squirmish: describing the mating of starfishes
- Nan Silvernail, 2001-5-5
- epilude: episode x interlude. Example: ``Here comes another
fantasy epilude,'' while watching Grease
- enigmanic: enigmatic, yet also manic
- tarditional: traditional but retarded
- sarcaustic: sarcastic x caustic
- Nan Silvernail, 2001-10-13
- Malapropism for `circumspect', 2001-10-29
- Brian Miller, on
- disgrossting: disgusting x gross
- Jason van Patten, 2003-07-02, describing the Mac OS X user interface
- Anticipating the opening ceremonies of the 2004 Olympics, 2004-8-10.
- manifiasco: manifesto x fiasco
- Kendal O.
See also: Shipman's Unfamiliar Quotations
John W. Shipman,
Last updated: 2014/12/15 20:52:22