/ Shipman's Home Sweet Homepage
/ Site map
Shipman's new stuff: recently added pages
Entries are from newest to oldest. Dates use the format
YYYY-MM-DD. This is the only logical way to encode dates, imho,
because the units are ordered largest to smallest. There's even
an ANSI standard to that effect. I'll shut up now. I know when
to shut up. No one has to tell me when to shut up.
I'm not one of those people who has to be told
when to shut up.
Note: I was a performer in all the concerts reviewed.
- Two bird-related projects are ongoing:
- All my
birdwatching field notes
are online, at least in skeletal form. Lately I've been
embedding photo links for some of the more interesting
records (and the occasional decent photo): click on the
thumbnail to view an image that is usually larger and
generally better cropped and color-corrected. Eventually I hope
to flesh out the older records with notes on behavior, more
precise localities, and other details.
- A union catalog of bird photos in phylogenetic order.
The images in this catalog are only thumbnails, though generous
- 2012-11-01: New Mexico Symphonic Chorus: Languages I've sung in.
- 2012-08-02: Concert review,
Honegger, King David.
- 2012-04-22: Bodega Burger, Socorro, NM
- 2012-03-23: New Mexico Symphonic Chorus: schedule and reviews; also finalized my
NMSO Chorus history page.
- 2012-01-15: Hewlett-Packard tightens the screws (1973)
- 2012-01-15: The day I wore a burqa
- 2012-01-15: The first computer program I ever ran (1966)
- 2011-04-15: General rework of my
- 2011-04-13: On ways of teaching and learning.
- 2011-04-13: Two rules for writers.
- 2011-02-26: Concert review,
Haydn, The Creation.
- 2010-12-04: Newly added to my
lightweight literate programming examples
page: mazeratty: A rattier maze generator
- 2010-12-04: Old Town Bistro, Socorro, NM: A review.
- 2010-11-06: Non-Euclidean carpentry
- 2010-06-12: Of cannons, Tchaikovsky, and a pregnant cheetah
- 2010-04-02: Completed a project to update the
Count Database, transferring it from 1998-era MySQL platform
to a better-normalized Postgresql implementation built on top
of a terrific Python-language object-relational mapper called
- 2010-03-04: NMSO article: ``An underfunded jewel''
- 2010-02-28: Concert review,
Bernstein, Chichester Psalms.
- 2010-01-23: Favorite fantasy authors: Ernest Bramah—Over a number of
years, I typed in an entire 169-page book, out of some quixotic
desire to keep it in print. You may freely download this book as a PDF.
- 2009-12-21: Concert review,
- 2009-08-21: Dolphin-safe beef
- 2009-08-21: Mr. Gaar's perpetual motion machine
- 2009-07-18: Kree-kree!, or the hazards of live music: The show must go on, despite
- 2009-07-17: Oryx: armed and dangerous
- 2009-03-25: Concert review,
Beethoven, Missa Solemnis. Singing this is the
hardest I've ever worked onstage.
- 2009-01-05: Restaurant review, `Pacific Grill, Truth or Consequences, NM'.
- To my story `The great rock removal', added a photo of my
- 2008-10-11: Concert review,
Rendering bird field notes for the Web, a new literate
- 2007-11-21: Concert review,
Walton, Belshazzar's Feast.
- 2007-11-09: Review of a new Socorro restaurant, the
Stage Door Grill.
rational.py: An example Python class. This
is a small example of a Python class that supports calculations
using rational numbers, written in lightweight literate
- 2007-09-17: Concert review,
Beethoven, Symphony No. 9.
- 2007-05-22: Completed huey, a graphical application
for color and font selection. See the
specification and the
complete code in lightweight literate programming exposition.
- 2007-05-12: Concert review,
Gordon Getty, Plump Jack.
- 2007-04-21: Evidence that
New Mexico Tech students still rock.
- 2007-03-15: Concert review,
Rachmaninoff, The Bells.
- 2007-02-06: Concert review,
Orff, Carmina Burana.
- 2006-10-03: Concert review,
Berlioz, Te Deum.
- 2006-07-27: Finished my largest lightweight literate
programming programming project to date:
iband7: IBP banding data entry system.
This is the 30-page specification. It has links to two
literate programming documents, one with 160 pages (in
PDF form) of literate Python, another with a package
written in emacs LISP.
- The NMSO Chorus performed at the Bravo! Vail Valley (CO)
Music Festival. See an
article about how we're
invited back next year.
- 2006-03-05: Reworked `Shipman's Unfamiliar Quotations' to use CSS.
The old version was just one huge block of <pre>-formatted
- 2006-02-21: Concert review,
- 2005-12-21: Concert review,
and a preview of Miguel del Aguila's Time and Again Barelas.
- 2005-11-25: Finished putting up an entire book,
Why don't we learn from
history? by B.H. Liddell Hart.
- 2005-11-01: Concert review,
Stravinsky, Symphony of Psalms
and a preview of Miguel del Aguila's Time and Again Barelas.
- 2005-06-01: Concert review,
Ramírez, Missa Criolla.
- 2005-05-26: All the significant programs I've written in
the past few months have been done in the
style. This technique embeds the program's source code
in its documentation. Included in this page are a dozen
- 2005-04-15: Typed in one of my favorite ultra-short short
stories from the mid-20th century, Nellthu by Anthony Boucher (1955).
- 2005-03-13: Concert review,
- 2005-03-06: Concert review,
Poulenc, Stabat Mater
and Boïto, Prologue to Mefistofele.
- 2005-02-02: A completely new toolbase
for managing wild bird records.
- 2004-08-18: Mini-reviews of two low-end
restaurants in Socorro: Roadrunner
Truck Stop and Casa Cuisine.
- 2004-03-21: Concert review,
Hindemith, Requiem: When
lilacs last in the dooryard bloom'd.
- 2004-02-27: Put up
`Shipman's favorite recipes', which grew out of my work in teaching
- 2004-01-27: Reviews of three
Middle Eastern restaurants in
- 2004-01-21: Put up some photos of a
Northern Pygmy-Owl on my
birding photos page. Note the bloody bill.
- 2004-01-20: Scans of articles about my singing with
the NMSO Chorus in last December's local concert
from the two local papers, the
Mountain Mail and
El Defensor Chieftain.
- 2004-01-15: A page dedicated to my most influential
music teachers and the
importance of music in the public schools.
- 2004-01-07: An original short essay of mine from 1988:
`Requiem for a microhabitat'. This is part of my series,
In My Day: New Mexico Tech Student
Life In The Late Sixties.
- 2003-12-30: A complete classic short-short SF story,
`SF short-shorts: ``Solipsist'' by Fredric Brown'.
- 2003-12-18: Concert review,
Monteverdi/Saint-Saëns Christmas program.
- 2003-10-13: Concert review, Berlioz,
Romeo and Juliet.
- 2003-08-30: A postscript from a second visit to
Ambrozia restaurant (scroll down).
- 2003-08-21: Pictures of a rare bird, a
Rufous-backed Robin that showed
up near San Antonio, NM, back in December 1989.
- 2003-08-13: Updates to two Albuquerque restaurant reviews,
- 2003-07-20: Scalo, one of my
very favorite places in Albuquerque, has completely
remade themselves, and here's a review of the new menu.
- 2003-06-15: Restaurant review for
Ambrozia in Albuquerque's Old Town.
- 2003-06-13: Finished typing in an old journal article:
The Dvorak Simplified
Keyboard: Forty Years of Frustration by Robert Parkinson.
This seminal article appeared in Computers and Automation
magazine in 1972 and inspired me to convert to the Dvorak keyboard.
It is also a useful commentary on human inertia.
- 2003-05-11: Concert review, selections from
Berlioz, Les Troyens.
- 2003-04-23: The page for requesting
Christmas Bird Count history reports
has been updated to use the latest taxonomy from the
Forty-third supplement to the American Ornithologists'
Union Check-List of North American Birds.
- 2003-03-21: Concert review,
Berlioz, Damnation of Faust
- 2003-01-08: Concert review, Handel, Messiah;
see my NMSO page for the link.
- 2002-10-31: Restaurant review for
Café Voila (country French).
It closed after we went there, and has since reopened, but
we haven't been back yet.
- 2002-10-28: Added Red Cross
sidestroke form standards for swimmers.
- 2002-10-26: In my cleanroom software
development pages, added a new section on
verification using trace tables.
- 2002-09-23: Concert review,
Beethoven, Symphony No. 9.
- 2002-09-22: Completely reorganized my
Albuquerque restaurant page, moving
category summaries to the next level down. Added new review of
- 2002-08-09: Updated my radical agriculture
reading list: Fukuoka's important One-straw
revolution is back in print.
- 2002-08-09: Review of the terrific
Prairie Star in Bernalillo, NM.
Also gave up trying to rank the top
they're all good.
- 2002-06-21: Added another meal's worth of commentary to the
Terra Bistro review; added to my page for the
Dune novels; and put up my 2002 scoring
rubric for the
Science Olympiad ``Sounds of Music'' event.
- 2002-05-21: Concert preview,
NMSO Choral Spectacular.
- 2002-05-09: Concert review,
Beethoven, Choral Fantasy.
- 2002-05-01: A month late, my wonderful
new Theory of Everything.
- 2002-04-03: Review of
Terra Bistro in Albuquerque.
- 2002-02-24: Concert review,
Janacek, Glagolitic Mass.
- 2002-02-24: Reworked my top choices on the
Albuquerque restaurant page, with a new review of
Restaurant Jennifer James.
- 2001-10-24: Concert review,
Mozart, Great Mass.
- 2001-09-29: Review of
Bien Shur Restaurant on the
north side of Albuquerque.
- 2001-09-01: Review of
La Piazza bistro in Albuquerque.
- 2001-08-12: Complete dates and repertoire for the upcoming
NM Symphony Chorus season.
- 2001-07-09: Review of
El Norteño on my
Albuquerque restaurants page.
Documentation of rarities for the 101st
Christmas Bird Count.
- 2001-06-03: Review of
Cafe Miche in Albuquerque.
- 2001-05-26: For users of the Christmas Bird Count six-letter
code system, there is now a
page for looking up codes.
- 2001-05-06: Put up my
- 2001-05-06: A page of books on
- 2001-04-22: Concert review,
- 2001-04-08: Concert review,
Bach, Mass in B Minor.
- 2001-04-08: Various food updates:
- 2001-01-02: Reviewed a new Albuquerque restaurant,
Cafe Bodega, which immediately
short list of great Albuquerque restaurants.
- 2000-12-18: Concert review,
Prokofiev, Alexander Nevsky and
Beethoven, Symphony No. 5.
- 2000-11-08: Concert review,
Bernstein, Chichester Psalms
and Verdi, Te Deum.
- 2000-07-26: Updates to the
Albuquerque restaurant page:
rated Silk Road at three stars; added a pointer to Ma's on
San Pedro until I can get there to try it; and dropped the
Yen Ching branch on 4th street due to legal and publicity
problems---but the original Yen Ching at Wyoming and Montgomery
is still good as far as I know.
- 2000-05-21: Review of a new restaurant,
Silk Road and an update on
Seasons, both in Albuquerque.
- 2000-05-04: New page for
compilers of Christmas Bird Counts in
- 2000-05-02: My
page on organizational behavior and William
Livingston's Have Fun at Work has a link to
Livingston's new Front End
- 2000-05-02: Review of a great dim sum restaurant,
- 2000-04-28: Re-ordered the list of my
top five Albuquerque restaurants, with
new reviews of
Chef du Jour and
- 2000-04-24: Concert review,
Great opera choruses.
- 2000-04-04: Added a new
script that shows the structure of the whole site.
- 2000-02-23: Concert review,
world premiere of Ray Shattenkirk's
- 2000-01-16: Added two new Socorro (NM) restaurant reviews:
Copa Cabana (closed July 2000) and
Socorro Springs Brewery.
Eat at Dan's to a new Gone but Not
Forgotten section (alas), and added a short reminiscence of
an ancient Socorro place called La Casita on my
Socorro restaurant page.
- 2000-01-13: Added Chow's Chinese Bistro to the
Albuquerque restaurant page; three stars.
- 2000-01-03: Restaurant review,
Chef du Jour in Albuquerque.
- 1999-10-18: Concert review,
Beethoven, Missa Solemnis.
- 1999-09-05: Added a long-overdue page on science fiction author
Walter Jon Williams.
- 1999-09-05: Completely reworked the
play-aids for the Mayfair ``crayon train
games'' to include the new edition of Empire Builder
and the new game of India Rails.
- 1999-06-24: I was quoted in a
New York Times article on pocket protectors.
- 1999-05-30: Reviews of fantasy author
Guy Gavriel Kay.
- 1999-05-07: Added a list of my
favorite books on software engineering.
Some of the material was moved there from my
human factors reading list, but I also added
some new material to that list.
- 1999-03-28: Concert review,
Bach, St. John Passion.
- 1999-02-07: Christmas Bird Count fans can now generate a
report showing the complete history of any single count circle. See
`Christmas Bird Count: Circle history report request'.
- 1999-01-19: Concert review,
Verdi, Four Sacred Pieces.
- 1999-01-02: Mini-reviews of two more concerts,
Walton, Belshazzar's Feast and
- 1998-10-25: Added information on
ergonomics and re-engineering the keyboard.
- 1998-10-20: Added the upcoming year to my
music page, including a review of our
- 1998-09-20: Updated my
Nerd Culture page to conform to my
current set of office supply fetishes.
- 1998-05-22: Concert review,
Sir William Walton,
Belshazzar's Feast, and a brief restaurant
- Review of New Mexico Tech's spring musical,
- 1998-04-15: Concert review,
Beethoven, Symphony No. 9.
- 1998-03-28: The Christmas Bird Count Database Project is
`The Christmas Bird Count database project'.
Next: Software engineering and software tools
See also: John W. Shipman's Home Sweet Homepage
Previous: Pictures of John Shipman
John W. Shipman,
Last updated: 2012/11/02 06:03:54