New Mexico Tech has over 60 years' experience educating petroleum engineers, dating from the 1930's when we were known as the New Mexico School of Mines. Today, with the world's demand for oil still growing, we are at the forefront in petroleum education and technology.
The high demand for trained petroleum engineers is projected to remain well into the 21st century. Starting salaries are among the highest for any field of engineering. Recent New Mexico Tech graduates with bachelor's degrees in petroleum engineering reported starting salaries of $85,000 and higher.
- Management is offering a course on Energy Information Systems this Fall. This will be accepted as the Technical Elective for petroleum students.
- CONGRATULATIONS to the SPE Roswell Section-Winner of the 2014 President's Award for Section Excellence. The Roswell Section Officers, tied to New Mexico Tech, are: Robert Balch (Program Chair); JJ McGlasson (Section Chair); Vidya Bammidi (YP Chair Mentor Program (for NMT SPE)); Karen Balch (Secretary/Treasurer/Event Coordinator/Communications Chair); Mike Kelly (Board Member); John Maxey (Section Co-Chair, has two students in the NMT Petroleum Engineering Program); Eric Angelos (YP Energy4me Chair); Deb Ingalls (Internet Chair).
- Online Resume Portal. Student resumes are posted on a secure site for viewing. If any company would like access, please contact Karen to receive personal login information.
- SCHEDULE FOR THE WEEK OF AUGUST 17:.
- Wednesday, August 20. 8:45-10:00pm. WORKMAN 101. SPE and AADE's First General Meeting. You don't want to miss this meeting! Food and beverages will be provided.
- Saturday, August 23. 9:00am Shotgun Start. Josh Kamas 2nd Annual Memorial Golf Tournament New Mexico Tech Golf Course!
Tournament Flyer, Registration Form, Sponsorship Form
Platinum SPONSOR: Packers Plus/Jay Geist; Gold SPONSOR: Texas Speed and Performance; LUNCH SPONSOR: Apache. AWARD SPONSOR: David Best.Student Team SPONSOR: Three Forks Resources. Ravi Vanjarapu. Jesus Barraza. Maxey Engineering. Hole SPONSOR: Gannaway and Associates
- Coming Soon. Petroleum Engineering Intern Panel. Date and Time TBA. Hosted by the SPE Roswell Section.
- Come join us for the 12th Annual SPE 49ers Golf Tournament October 17, 2014 at the New Mexico Tech Golf Course! There is a special one-time only event for platinum sponsors (Teeing up and driving a golf ball off M Mountain). Information included in sponsor packet.
2014 Brochure, 2014 Player Registration Form, 2014 Sponsorship Form
- 19th Hole Petroleum Engineering Reception during 49ers, Friday, October 17. 7:30-9:30pm hosted by Bob and Karen Balch. RSVP by October 14 for directions and more information.
- 2014 SPE Roswell Section, NMT SPE Students, and Friends Race for the Cure. Sunday, September 21, 2014. In 2013, the team was in the top ten (#2) in fundraising, totaling $3,345!
- Future Events: Conference Trips (ATCE Amsterdam, Permian Basin Oil & Gas Show); Outreach Events (Oil & Gas Day at the NM State Fair, Oil & Gas Day at the Capitol); Department Student Paper Contest (November); SPE Roswell Leadership Workshop (February); SPE Distinguished Lecturers (Spring); SPE Regional Student Paper and Petrobowl Competition (Spring). Dates will be posted later.
- MARK YOUR CALENDARS! Dr. Chen Classic and Langdon B. Taylor Banquet. April 24-25, 2015.
- 2014 Wild Well Control Class (left to right). Chijioke Nwachukwu, Steve Vorenkamp (instructor), Russell Moses, Jr, DJ Ojo, Catherine Lindsey, Pat Breslin, Zota Stevens, Riley Breslin, Seth Loggins, Christos Petrides, Charles Nimmer, Eric Angelos, Richard Poythress, Clark Cunningham, Cody Douglas, Ephraim Schofield.
- SPRING 2013 NEWSLETTER.
- We're on Facebook! "Like" the New Mexico Tech Petroleum Engineering Department page.
- Follow us on Twitter! @NMTPetroEngDept
- All petroleum students will be asked to sign a release form so Karen can release pics and resumes.
- Meeting Tomorrow's Energy Challenges Today -
As a modern petroleum engineer, you'll be expected to perform interdisciplinary activities in the areas of drilling, production, formation evaluation, and reservoir engineering. Accordingly, we have designed New Mexico Tech's program to train you in many areas: geology, hydraulics, engineering mechanics, thermodynamics, physical chemistry, and economics.
The Petroleum Engineering department places particular emphasis on giving you "hands-on" experience as well as classroom education. In four modern laboratories, you'll gain practical experience with drilling fluids, well completions, formation evaluation, and reservoir engineering.
An industry consortium sponsors projects in the area of reservoir characterization and simulation, and our students work and interact directly with industry operations and research staff. In addition, engineers and geoscientists from Sandia and Los Alamos National Laboratories often work with the Petroleum Engineering department. The
Petroleum Recovery Research Center
(PRRC) is located on campus and is well known in the industry as a research leader in advanced techniques of improved petroleum recovery. Researchers from the PRRC interact extensively with the Petroleum Engineering department.