New Mexico Tech Skeen Library - Library FAQ's

Click on a question to reveal the answer.

Where do I look for articles on my topic?

Start by searching for your topic in a research database. You can use a general database like Expanded Academic Index, or choose a database that is geared toward a particular subject. For help in selecting the best database, use Databases by Subject. If you know the name of the database you need, select it from the Databases by Title page.

Some databases give you citations to articles while others include an abtract (summary) or the entire article online. If the article is not online, check the title of the journal in WorldCat (Online Catalog) to see if it is available in print or electronically from the Skeen Library. If the article is not available from the Skeen Library, find out how to get articles that NMT does not own.

Is there off-campus access to the research databases and electronic journals?

To access electronic resources off-campus, you must be a current NMT student, professor or staff member with a TCC (Tech Computer Center) account. Read more about Off Campus Access.

How can I learn about citing sources in my paper?

This Citing Sources guide provides links with information on citing print sources, full-text articles from online databases, and Web pages. Books available in the Skeen Library reference collection are also included. Talk to your professor about which kind of citation style you should use.

How do I find books in the Skeen Library?

Use WorldCat (Online Catalog), which includes information on books, DVDs, CDs and other materials that are owned by the Skeen Library. Do NOT use the catalog to search for articles in journals or newspapers. The catalog only gets a limited number of hits for electronic articles. Instead, use Research Databases to search for specific articles.

Once you find the item you need in WorldCat, check the location information and copy down the call number of the item. If the Status says "DUE 12-15-05", this means that the item is already checked out. You can place a HOLD on the item by going to the Circulation Desk.

To find further information about books that the Skeen Library does not own, check WorldCat searching LIBROS Consortium or Libraries Worldwide. Otherwise, search Books in Print.

How can I find out if the Skeen Library has a certain journal?

Use WorldCat (Online Catalog) to search for a journal. Choose a Journal Title search and then type in the name of the journal. Once you find the item you need in WorldCat, check to see which volumes are available under LIB. HAS. If the journal is available electronically, there will be a box labelled: Online Resource(s) - Click Here.

Most print journals are on the Garden Level (lower level of the library). Current issues of these journals are located on the upright shelves near the photocopiers. Be sure to lift the shelves to see more issues. The older journal volumes are shelved alphabetically on the regular shelves and many of them are bound like a book. Current issues of popular journals and magazines are also on the Garden Level in the popular reading area.

Can I renew library materials online?

Library users can renew their books online in your Online Library Account. Your User Name is your Banner 900 number.

How do I see a list of books I have checked out?

You can view a list of checked-out items in your Online Library Account. Your User Name is your Banner 900 number.

I got an overdue notice, what does it mean?

The Fines Policy explains the charges for different types of items. You can also call James Klarkowski at 575‑835‑6600, and he will be able to help with any questions or problems.

How do I find a book or journal article that the library does not own?

You can use our ILL (Interlibrary Loan) service to request books, articles, chapters, theses and dissertations that the Skeen Library does not own. Click on ILLiad to begin your request.

This service is available for NMT students, faculty, and staff only.

Distance Education students see book and article delivery services to learn more.

Can I use other New Mexico libraries?

NMT students, faculty or staff who wish to have borrowing privileges at another New Mexico academic library, need to bring their NMT ID to the NMT library and ask for a Passport at the Circulation Desk before they go.

This certificate will provide you with borrowing privileges at that library for the current semester. To make arrangements for the return of Passport books, contact Interlibrary Loan at 575‑835‑5173.

This service is available for NMT students, faculty, and staff only.

Distance Education Students can also obtain a Passport to a nearby New Mexico academic library.

Can I reserve a Skeen Library room for a meeting?

The library offers three reservable rooms to the public. The Tripp Room holds 50 people, and two study rooms holding 8-12 people. Library 208 is a computer lab that can be reserved by NMT faculty and staff for special classes.

Call 575‑835‑5614 for more information or stop by the Circulation Desk.