Library Research Instruction
The New Mexico Tech Skeen Library offers students, faculty and staff many different ways to become familiar with the library and
information resources. Library research instruction teaches how to obtain information more efficiently and to evaluate it more
thoroughly. Students learn research skills needed to continue their education beyond their years at New Mexico Tech.
Different types of instruction:
Individual Research Consultations
Gain an overview of the Skeen Library and the services available. Activities may include:
Learn specific skills depending on individual research needs, such as literature searching for a thesis or dissertation. Typically it takes 10-30 minutes to complete a session.
Students learn how to use a set of information resources related to a specific subject course with appropriate
examples or hands-on experience. Course specific web pages can also be created and tailored to the information
needs of your class. See an example of a course instruction page.
Typical contents include:
- Library tours
- Introductory materials on library services
- Quick instruction on basic information retrieval strategies and skills
Learn to master a specfic set of information skills, focusing on a specific resource or a related set of resources. Examples:
- Identifying key information resources
- Analyzing and evaluating information
- LIBROS, the online catalog
- Article databases (subject specific)
- Applicable web resources
- Library Services
- Patent Searching Fundamentals
- Using EndNote with Skeen Library Databases
- Cited Reference Searching in Web of Science
Tech Library, New Mexico Institute
of Mining and Technology, Socorro, New Mexico 87801
Maintained by New Mexico Tech Skeen Library.
Questions or comments about this Web site to