Safety is of primary important to the Materials Department. In order to work in our labs either in classes or in any other capacity, you need to be aware of the safety regulations, and you need to follow them.
The departmental safety manual can be downloaded HERE
. Please read it thoroughly. After reading it you must pass the Safety Quiz that can be accessed HERE
You must be authorized to take the quiz. If you are signed up for a materials class with a laboratory component you are automatically authorized, if you need to work in our labs for any other reason, a faculty member must separately enter your name into the system.
Once you have passed the quiz, you will be notified when a safety update is required; otherwise your safety certification will remain in effect until otherwise notified.
Everyone working in a Materials laboratory MUST have a current Safety Certification. Repeated or severe safety violations will result in the retraction of a student's Safety Certification.
The Materials Engineering Program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012, telephone: (410) 347-7700.
New Mexico Tech Mission Statement
New Mexico Tech is an institute of higher learning that serves
the diverse population of New Mexico by integrating education,
research, public service, and economic development through
emphasis on science, engineering, and natural resources. Its mission
Departmental Mission Statement
1) helping students learn creative approaches to addressing
2) acknowledging state and national diversity and developing
an inclusive learning environment;
3) creating and communicating knowledge, and
4) solving technical and scientific problems.
1) To educate our students so that they are prepared to obtain and succeed in the best positions in industry, government laboratories and graduate schools.
Program Educational Objectives
2) To advance the frontiers of materials science and engineering.
3) To serve the public of New Mexico through outreach and expanded education.
Program educational objectives are broad statements that describe the career and professional accomplishments that the program is preparing graduates to achieve.
The Materials Engineering and the Materials Engineering with Metallurgical Engineering Option programs will prepare graduates who:
1) establish themselves in a range of careers in industry or government or pursue post baccalaureate education in engineering, science, business, law, medicine, or related fields;
2) demonstrate advancement in their chosen profession;
3) engage in appropriate professional societies and in continuing education activities.
Materials & Metallurgical Engineering Department
New Mexico Tech
801 Leroy Place
Socorro, NM 87801
FAX: (575) 835-5626
Phone: (575) 835-5229
Department Chair: Dr. Majumdar(majumdar[at]nmt.edu)
Links To Do With Our Research
The Materials and Metallurgical Engineering department of New Mexico Tech has a variety of equipment for sample preparation, testing and analysis. A table that lists equipment in our department and corresponding contact person can be found here.