Plotting the Ansys Model with Unix
Ansys can make postscript graphics of the model.
- You can plot nodes and elements and include constraints and loads.
In addition, for mechanical problems, you can plot the deformed
elements on top of the undeformed elements.
To create a graphic, include the line:
- in the header section of the
source program. The graphic output will appear in the file
fname.f33 which is not a postscript file.
To convert the f33 file to postscript, so you can print it,
you must have three files:
- These files are available in the class directory at:
In Assignment 2.
you learned how to copy files with Netscape (click on the above names)
and with the Unix cp command.
After Ansys has finished, give the command:
- where fname is the first option of the /SHOW command.
The first and second postscript graphics will appear with the
names pscr00.grph and pscr01.grph. You can now view these
files with ghostview or send them directly to sage or spruce.
To view the first graphic in ghost view, give the command:
ghostview -landscape pscr00.grph &
- Or if you have my bash functions, give the command:
The gv function is:
ghostview -landscape -magstep -1 $* &
- (The magstep option fixes the zoom size on the screen,
but you can adjust the zoom level from ghostview.
- The first graphic should now appear on your screen.
Notice that the supports are shown at the left and right sides.
The left end shows a rigid pin support while the other end has a
roller joint, only restrained in the y direction.
- To enlarge the view of the left support, move the mouse pointer
to the joint and press the left button.
- Click Dismiss at the bottom of the new window to close it.
To see the second graphic, pscr01.grph:
- Move the mouse pointer to the File menu header and
drag down the menu.
- While still holding the left button, highlight the menu item
Open and release the button.
- If you get a listing of many files, select the other
graphic pscr01.grph. On the other hand, if you get a small
dialog box titled Popup, the name of your first postscript
file will appear. Move the mouse pointer between the second zero
and the decimal point. Click the left button. Delete the second
zero and type a 1. Then press the Return key or click the Okay button.
- Pull down the File menu and select Exit to leave ghostview.
For more information on ghostview, see xman or my WWW page on
Send the two graphics pscr*.grph to the printer.
ES 421 --
Source Program --
Ansys index --
Last revised: January 21, 2001