Welcome to Freshman Research at NMT!Living/Learning Communities
Designed to encourage academic success, the Living/Learning Communities
Program (LLC) is focused around research-themed freshman year Learning
Communities. LLC students live in the same residence halls and take LLC courses,
including a freshman year research course, together. The opportunity to do
research and design as freshmen creates a more engaging and realistic
atmosphere for new students entering the fields of science and engineering.
In addition, there are wonderful sources of support for the Living/Learning
Community, such as:
- Learning Community Faculty - outstanding NMT faculty mentors who have
developed the LLC research projects and classes.
- Learning Coaches - successful junior and senior students who serve as academic
mentors and tutors. Many Learning Coaches are former LLC students themselves.
- Resident Assistants - successful upper-level students who are there to help
new students adapt to the living and academic environment.
- Learning Lounges - study areas in the residence halls, equipped with
technology to facilitate individual and group work. Learning Lounges are the place for on-site
tutoring with Learning Coaches.
- Smart Classrooms - technological features that allow students access to
lecture notes written on the digital whiteboards, recordings of lectures that
can be reviewed at the student's own pace, and a variety of tools for
Being involved in a Living/Learning Community
provides participants with
tremendous peer support in a very challenging college atmosphere. The combination
of Living and Learning in Community
in the midst of a strong academic support
system provides the best possible chance for academic and career success.
Email Drea Rae Killingsworth, Living/Learning Community Coordinator,