and Restaurants with Good Beer
We have found good beer and good food in the following breweries (B)
and restaurants (R) around the world.
data base for more places.
Also see Bay Area Restaurants
New Mexico |
North Carolina |
British Columbia |
New Zealand |
- Beaver Street Brewery (B)
- 11 South Beaver Street, 520-779-0079, Route 66 to RR station, left over tracks
- Railhead Red Ale, Pizza, Caesar salad.
Pyramid Brewery & Alehouse (B),
- 901 Gilman St, 510-528-9880, Free Wi-Fi, 37° 52' 49", -122° 17' 58"
- Fish and Chips, Thunderhead IPA.
A bit noisy at times.
- Spengers Fish Grotto (R)
- 1919 Fourth Street, 510-845-7771, 37° 52' 5.9", -122° 18' 0.2"
- Sierra Nevada, Fat Tire, Fish & Chips, Cioppino, Shrimp Louie, Shellfish Linguini.
- CARMEL, Also see Restaurants
- A.W. Shucks(R)
- Ocean, San Carlos, Shucks Ale, clam chowder
- Flaherty's Seafood Grill (R)
- 6th Street between Dolores & San Carlos, 831-624-0322
- Clam chowder and draft beer
- Hogs Breath Inn (R)
- San Carlos & 5th Ave, Hog's Breath Pale Ale, Seared Ahi Tuna, 831-625-1044
- Jack London's Bar & Grill (R)
- Delores (5th & 6th) Scrimshaw Pilsner
- Ody's Tavern(R)
- San Carlos between Ocean & 7th St, 831-626-6821
- Baby back ribs and Fat Lip Amber Ale.
Also Guiness, Bass, New Castle, Harp, and Big Sur English Ale
- Hubsch Sudwerk Privatbrauerei (B)
- 2001 Second St., Davis, CA 95616-5474, 530-758-8700, at Pole Line Rd
- Märzen, Pilsener, Jägerschnitzel
Steelhead Brewing Company (B)
- 4175 Campus Dr (SW Bridge Street), Irvine, CA 92612, 949-856-2227, 33° 38' 58", -117° 50' 25"
- LAGUNA BEACH/ HILLS
- BJ's Restaurants (B)
- 280 S. Coast Hwy, Laguna Beach, 33° 32' 31.9", -117° 47' 1"
- 24032 El Toro Rd. (W I-5), Laguna Hills, CA 92653, 949-900-2670, 33° 36'42.8", -117° 42'39"
- Baby Pork Ribs, Piranha Pale Ale, Stone IPA
- LAKE TAHOE
- Brewery at Lake Tahoe (B)
- 3542 Lake Tahoe Blvd, US-50, South Lake Tahoe, 530-544-2739, 38° 56' 47.5", -119° 57' 48"
- Bad Ass Ale, Indian Pale Ale
- Sunnyside Resort (R)
- 1850 West Lake Blvd., Tahoe City, 530-583-7200, 39° 8' 35.7", -120° 09' 14.4"
- Lake Tahoe IPA, Pepper Ahi
- Crown & Anchor (R)
- 150 W Franklin, 831-649-6496
- Sovereign lamb shanks and Fuller's ESB.
Also Guiness, Bass, New Castle, and Harp
- Mucky Duck (R)
- 479 Alvarado Street, 831-655-3031
- All the major British ales
- Barclays (R)
- 5940 College, 510-654-1650
- Many beers on tap, some hand pumped, Hoptown IPA, fish and chips, crispy onions.
- Catos Ale House (R)
- 3891 Piedmond Ave, 510-655-3349, Free Wi-Fi, 37 49' 29.1", -122 15' 16.6"
- Racer 5 IPA, Guinness, reuben, pastrami on rye.
- Pacific Coast Brewing (B)
- 906 Washington St., 510-836-2739, Free Wi-Fi, 37° 48' 4.9", -122° 16' 27.6"
- Blue Whale Ale (IPA) and reuben on rye
- SAN FRANCISCO
Irish Bank Bar & Restaurant (R)
- 10 Mark Lane (Bush between Kearny & Grant) 37° 47' 26", -122° 24' 17.2"
- Fish & Chips, Bangers and Mash, Guinness
Pig & Whistle (R)
- 2801 Geary Blvd (Wood) 37° 46' 55.5", -122° 26' 57"
- Fish and Chips, Fuller's London Pride, Guinness
- SAN JOSE
BJ's Restaurants (B)
- 925 Blossom Hill Rd (W I-5), 408-284-4260, 37° 15'2.8", -121° 51'50.5"
- Chili, Stone IPA
- SAN RAMON
- Hop Yard Alehouse (B)
- 470 Market Pl, Racer 5 IPA, French dip
- The Heidelberg Inn (R)
- 1618 Copenhagen Dr, 805-688-6213
- Beck Dark Draft
- WALNUT CREEK
- COLORADO SPRINGS
Phantom Canyon Brewing (B)
- 2 East Pikes Peak, 719-635-2800
- Right downtown with parking next door.
Good food, atmosphere, and of course beer.
- Enjoyed the Cascade Amber Ale.
Berghoff Cafe (B)
- O'Hare Airport United Terminal 1, Concourse C-26
- Enjoyed Dark Ale.
- Front Street Brewery
- 208 East River Drive, 319-322-1569
- Good stout and food along the river
- NEW ORLEANS
Crescent City Brewhouse (B)
- 527 Decatur Street, 504-522-0571
- Black Forest Stout and Brewhouse Ribs. Nice atmosphere, huge copper tanks.
- Brit's Pub (P)
- 1110 Nicollet Mall, 612-332-3908
- Fullers ESP and 12 other English Ales
- Rock Bottom Restaurant (B)
- 800 LaSalle Plaza, 825 Hennepin Avenue
- Hand-pumped English bitter, Salmon Fish & Chips
- Split Rock Bar & Grill (B)
- Leinies Split Rock Ale, Lefsedilla Sandinavia quesadilla
- Town Hall Brewery (B)
- 1430 Washington Ave. South, 612-339-8696
- Hope and King Scotch Ale and West Bank Bitter.
- Twin Cities Grill (P)
- Mall of America
- Goose Island Honkers Ale
- Chama River Brewing Co (B)
- 4939 Pan American Freeway, I-25 Jefferson exit West side, then south, 505-342-1800
- IPA, BBQ Burger
- Elephant Bar Restaurant (R)
- 2240 Louisiana NE, Suite 5a (Uptown Center) 505-884-2288
- Quick Seared Ahi Tuna, Fresh Mixed Baby Greens, Guinness
- Il Vicino Microbrewery (B)
- 11225 Montgomery NE (Juan Tabo) 505-271-0882
- 3403 Central NE (W Carlisle) 505-266-7855
- Wet Mt. IPA with calzone
- Kellys Brewing (B) -- Free WiFi
- 3222 Central Ave., 505-262-2739, 21 beers on tap.
Buinness, Fish and Chips with onion rings,
Hamburger, and Barbecue Pork sandwich.
- O'Niell's Irish Pub (R)
- 3301 Juan Tabo NE, 505-293-1122
- Marble IPA, Reuben, and onion rings
- Quarters BBQ (R)
- 4516 Wyoming Blvd, NE, 505-299-9864, 25 beers on tap, great ribs
- SANTA FE
- Blue Corn Café & Brewery (B)
- 133 Water St, at Galisteo, 505-984-1800
- Socorro Springs Brewing Co (B)
- 1012 N California, 575-838-0650
- Pick Axe Pale Ale (IPA) and Mulligan Mo's ESB, pizza.
- Stage Door Grill (R)
- 115 Abeyta Ave, 866-889-7124
- Sierra Blanca Alian Ale, Stout, Jambalaya, Baby back ribs
- Greenshields Brewery & Pub (B)
- 214 East Martin Street, City Market, 919-829-0214
- Fish and Chips, Delmonico sandwich, Amber ale
- Tir na nOg (R), Irish Pub & Restaurant
- 218 S Blount St., 919-833-7795
- The Mullingar Boxty, Guinness, Bass, Harp on tap
Horse Brass Pub (R)
- 4534 SE Belmont, 503-232-2202
- Enjoyed lunch and Scotch ale.
Rock Bottom Brewery #4 (B)
- 210 SW Morrison Street, 503-796-2739
- Enjoyed dinner and Black Seal stout. Located by the light-rail stop.
- GRANTS PASS
Wild River Brewing and Pizza #2 (B)
- 595 NE East Street, 541-471-7487
- Elephant & Castle Pub (P)
- Red Lion Hotel, 1415 Fifth Avenue at Pike St, 206-624-9977
- Elysian Brewing ESB
Gordon Biersch (B)
- 600 Pine Street, (4th Floor of Pacific Place), 206-405-4205
- Dunkles, unfiltered and malty
The Pike Pub and Brewery (B)
- Merchant du Vin, 1415 First Avenue, 206-622-3373
Pyramid Brewery & Alehouse (B)
- 1201 First Avenue South, 206-682-8322
- Fish and Chips with Best Brown and Espresso Stout
Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery #11 (B)
- 1333 5th Avenue, 206-623-3070 [Haven't tried this place]
Six Arms Brewpub (B)
- 300 E Pike St, 206-223-1698 [Haven't tried this place]
- McMenamins and Pike Brewing ales
- Elephant & Castle Pub (P)
-- Free WiFi
- Government St at View St., 100 The Bay Centre, 250-383-5858
- Big Rock Traditional Ale
- Irish Times Pub & Oyster Bar (P)
- Government St at View St., 100 The Bay Centre, 250-383-5858
- Big Rock Traditional Ale, Ploughmans lunch
- Sticky Wicket Pub (P)
in Strathcona Hotel
- 919 Douglas St, 800-663-7476
- Herman's Dark Lager
- Swans Buckerfield Brewery (B)
-- Free WiFi
- 506 Pandora Avenue, 604-361-3310
- Swan's Oatmeal Stout, Shepherd's Pie
- Steamworks Brewing (B)
- 375 Water Street, Vancouver, BC V6B 5C6, 604-689-2739
- Nice lunch, nice view of the harbor and Grouse Mountains,
and nice Nut Brown Ale and Coal Porter.
- Beautiful copper tanks behind the bar.
Yaletown Brewing (B)
- 1111 Mainland St., Vancouver, BC V6B 5P2, 604-681-2739
- Good food and pints of tasty Double Dome Stout
and Nut Brown Ale at this airy, pleasant brewery-restaurant.
Hurleys Irish Pub (R),
1225 Crescent Street, Guinness Beef Stew, St-Ambroise Red Ale
Most anywhere you can get good dark beer like
Coopers Extra Stout
and Tooheys Old Black Ale
Lord Nelson Hotel (B)
- 19 Kent St, at Argyle St, The Rocks 2000
- Beef pie and Old Admiral (dark and malty, 6.7%)
also Nelson's Blood (porter, rich and creamy, 4.1%)
In 1999 we found good beer, both bottled and draft, brewed locally in Beijing,
Xi'an, Chongqing, Wuhan, Shanghai, Guilin, and Hong Kong. However, in 2006
draft beer was hard to find.
Hotel Sofitel Hyland (B)
- 505 Nanjing Road E. Shanghai 200001
- German Brewpub, Jägerschnitzel and Schweinenhaxe
- Shanghai Bund Brewage Co (B)
- 11 Hankou Road
- German Brewpub, good dark beer
Pivovara i pivnica Medvedgrad (B)
- Pub and microbrewery with good dark beer and food
Great beer everywhere, especially the dark beer (cerné pivo),
pronounced cherner peevo.
- CESKY KRUMLOV
- Zlaty Andel Don Julius (P)
- námestí Svornosti 10
- Dark Eggenberg beer is very good, goulash and pasta salad.
Alehouse Radegast (P)
- Templova 2
- Dark Radegast beer was very good.
Simple restaurant, had onion soup and spaghetti.
- Novomestsky Pivovar (B)
- Vodicková 20
- Unfiltered medium-dark beer (Kvasnicovy Lezák 11o) is very good.
- Pork chunks stewed in dark beer, stewed cabbage,
feta salad were also very good.
- U Flecku (B)
- 11 Rremencova
- Good dark beer (Flekovsky Lezák 13o).
- No menu, but can order in German. Had Goulash and accordion music.
- U Pinkasu (P)
- Jungmano Námestí, near Mustek metro
- Good Gamdrinus dark beer.
Pork, potatoes, red and white cabbage very good.
- Dubliner Irish Pub (R)
- On Strřget
- Guinness and pub lunch with ham and mushroom soup
Aschinger Brauerei (B)
- Kurfürstendamm 26, Charlottenburg
- Grillhaxe mit sauer Kohl und Berliner Aschinger Bier.
Brauhaus am Waldschlösschen (B)
(Careful, a wild Java application takes over your screen)
- Am Brauhaus 8b
- Knusprige Schweinshaxe mit Sauerkraut und dunkel Bier.
- Paulaner Bierstube (R) in the
- Taschenberg 3, bei Schloss
- Tomate Mozzarella and Weisswurst with Paulaner Dunkel.
- Nuernberger Bratwurst Gloeckl
(Frauenplatz 9 - at side of Frauenkirche - U6 etc. to Marienplatz)
Many places serve good dark beer like
Monteiths Black Beer and Speight Old Dark Malt Ale
- Loaded Hog (B)
- Corner of Cashel St and Manchester
- Fish and chips with Hog Dark Ale
- McNeill's Cottage Brewery (B)
- 14 Church St
- Lamb with Classic Black and
Moonlight Real Ale (both bottom fermented)
- Pig & Whistle (B)
- Corner of Haupapa and Tutanekai
- Slices of lamb in a "burger" and Snout Dark Ale
The following three restaurants are close to each other
and cater to locals rather than tourists. They were close to
our hotel, Scandic Anglas.
- Biblos (R)
- Spendrup dark label beer, good salmon also mozzarella and tomato
- Prinsen (R)
- Samuelsgatan 4
- Lamb with "strong" beer (3.5%), around the corner from Sophies
- Sophies Bar (R)
- Bibliotheksgatan (next to Biblos)
Home, index |
Home Brewing |
Beer Sayings |
Beer Labels |
Revised: September 27, 2012