Frequently Asked Questions

Below are commonly asked questions. Toggle each section to expand/collapse.

I'm an incoming new/transfer student. How do I find out who my advisor is?

After your transcripts or placement forms are evaluated, and you have communicated with OSL staff, you should receive an email from your advisor. Check your NMT email after you receive a copy of your transcript evaluation from Titia Barham. If you haven't received an email, contact OSL staff in the Office for Student Learning for assistance.

I know who my advisor is, but haven't received any response to my emails. How do I get in touch with them?

If you're on campus, go see the Department Secretary to find out when they're available. If your advisor is unavailable, you can arrange a meeting with the Department Chair to discuss your request and the situation. If you're not on campus, contact OSL staff in the Office for Student Learning for assistance.

My advisor approved my proposed schedule, but hasn't given me my APIN for registration. What do I do ?

If it looks like your advisor just forgot to include your APIN, politely reply and let him or her know that the APIN wasn't included. If there's some reason to think your APIN is intentionally being withheld, but it's not stated why, ask for clarification. If you're on campus, stop by during your advisor's office hours, or talk to the Department Secretary to schedule a meeting time that works for both you and your advisor. If your advisor is unavailable, schedule a meeting with the Department Chair and take along a printout of the email. If you're not on campus, contact OSL staff in the Office for Student Learning for assistance.

What do the Banweb Registration Errors mean?

A list of all of the Banweb Registration Errors can be found here. Common errors include Coreq Required, which means you have to register for both the class and its corequisite (common ones are classes and their respective labs), Time Conflict, which means two or more of your classes start or end at the same time, or the times overlap, and Closed Section, which means that the class you are attempting to register for is at capacity. No more students will be able to register unless they receive an override from the Registrar's Office.

Who do I contact if I have an academic issue that my advisor and/or professors cannot resolve to my satisfaction?

If you have already tried to work through the issue with the class instructor or staff member, the next step is to contact their Department Chair or Staff Supervisor. If you're not satisfied, or if the problem is with a Department Chair, meet with the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, Dr. Peter Mozley. Note: Sexual harrassment issues should be taken to the Director of Affirmative Action and Compliance - contact information is here.

I took dual credit/AP tests/other university courses. How can I find out which credits will transfer, and as what?

Check the Transfer Students page for detailed information. If your questions aren't answered there, contact the Registrar's Office, or email Titia Barham in the Registrar's Office.

Where should I have my transcripts sent?

If you are a new incoming student, have your transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions. They will be a part of your application for admission and will be forwarded to the Registrar's Office for evaluation after you are accepted for admission.
If you are a current NMT student, your transcripts may be sent directly to the Office of the Registrar.

Does my transcript have to be an official transcript?

Yes, your transcript for transfer credits and for admission must be official in order for any credit to be awarded. You are welcome to submit an unofficial transcript or list of courses with descriptions to see how your courses will transfer, but no credit will be awarded based on unofficial documents.

Will the grades I earned transfer? Will the transfer credits affect my GPA?

No, the grades you earned at other universities will not transfer to NMT. "CR" will appear on your transcript for courses transferred, in place of letter grades.

Some courses that I took did not transfer. Why is that?

Check with the Registrar's Office to confirm that they received your most recent transcripts. Credit is not awarded until final, official transcripts are received. If your course was prepatory-level or did not meet NMT's transfer requirements, it may not have transferred. Please email Titia Barham in the Registrar's Office if you are unsure why a course is not appearing on your Banweb student transcript record.

I have other questions about classes that are not answered here.

Click this link to go directly to the Registrar's Office's page, or you may contact OSL staff/a> in the Office for Student Learning for assistance.

I have a learning/physical/psychological disability - does NMT have any support systems?

Contact the NMT Office of Counseling and Disabilities Services. Disabilities which can be accommodated include physical issues, psychological disorders, and learning disabilities.

I have prescription medication I must take regularly - where can I get labwork done & refills prescribed?

Contact the NMT Student Health Center. This on-campus licensed medical office provides non-emergency care for students, including physical exams, some vaccinations, and lab work.For medical emergencies, call 911 / Campus Police (575-835-5434).

I lost my student ID. Where is the lost and found?

First, retrace your steps. If you are unable to find it, you can check with Campus Police's Key Control Office in Fidel (1st floor, underneath the stairs near the main entrance). If it has been a while, Key Control will put your ID card in your campus mailbox, so check there. If all else fails, talk to Residential Life about getting a temporary card to access your room. If you are unable to find your card, you will have to pay $5.00 for a replacement ID at the Registrar's Office.

Who do I contact if I have a non-academic issue isn't resolved to my satisfaction?

Contact the Vice President for Student and University Relations / Dean of Students, Melissa Jaramillo-Fleming. Her office will be able to provide information on and assistance with a variety of student issues and services. Note: Sexual harrassment issues should be taken to the Director of Affirmative Action and Compliance - contact information is here.

How do I register for classes online with Banweb?

This step-by-step guide will help you register for your classes. Remember: you should look up the classes you want to take before you attempt to register. You also will need to talk with your advisor to receive your A-pin. This is a good opportunity to check with your advisor and ask any questions you may have about the courses you want to take.

How do I check my NMT email?

Click this link to go to the gmail login page. NMT uses gmail to host it's email service.

Where do I go to ask questions about my TCC (NMT email/ITC) account?

Some questions can be answered on this website, but if you can't find your answer there, you can speak with someone at the TCC Help Desk.

I can't log into Banweb. Why?

You may be typing in your username/PIN incorrectly. Remember, Banweb uses your 900# as your user ID, while your TCC user ID is your NMT email (without the Your TCC login password gives you access to computers on campus and your email address. Your Banweb login gives you access to your student records and the registration portal.
If you're using the right combination of user ID and password for the site, your account may be locked - the system locks your access after three failed login attempts. You'll have to go to the Registrar's office, and show a photo ID, to request your Banweb PIN be reset.

Why do some of the computers on campus use different operating systems?

Most of the computers on campus that are linked to the TCC have the capability to run either a Windows based OS or a Linux based OS. Different OS's offer different advantages. If you wish to switch between OS's, shut the computer down properly (log out, shut down, don't press and hold the power button) and restart the computer. This will bring up an option for the OS to use. You can use the arrow keys on the keyboard to select which one you prefer. This selection is not saved. It works on a case-by-case basis. Each computer, when restarted, will prompt you to select the OS.

I need software installed / updated on my TCC account. How do I do this?

You will need to contact the TCC Help Desk. They will be able to walk you through what you can and cannot do with your account, and they will be able to help you update anything you need updating if it is allowed.