- To educate our students so that they are prepared to obtain and succeed in the best positions in industry, government laboratories, and graduate schools;
- To advance the frontiers of materials science and engineering;
- To serve the public of New Mexico through outreach and expanded education;
Program educational objectives are broad statements that describe the career and professional accomplishments that the program is preparing graduates to achieve. The Materials Engineering, Materials Engineering with Metallurgical Engineering Option, and Materials Engineering with Biomaterials option programs will prepare graduates who:
- Establish themselves in a range of careers in industry or government or pursue post baccalaureate education in engineering, science, business, law, medicine, or related fields;
- Advance their chosen profession;
- Engage in appropriate professional societies and in continuing education activities;
The Materials Engineering Program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012, telephone: (410) 347-7700.
(a) An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering (b) An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data (c) An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental,
social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability (d) An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams (e) An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems (f) An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility (g) An ability to communicate effectively (h) The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context (i) A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning (j) A knowledge of contemporary issues (k) An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
New Mexico Tech is an institute of higher learning that serves the diverse population of New Mexico by integrating education, research, public service, and economic development through emphasis on science, engineering, and natural resources. Its mission is multi-fold:
- Helping students learn creative approaches to addressing complex issues;
- Acknowledging state and national diversity and developing an inclusive learning environment;
- Creating and communicating knowledge;
- Solving technical and scientific problems;
|Academic Year||Enrollment Year||Undergrad Total||Grad Total||Degrees Awarded|